Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quad-Nandi-10-Sept-2011

I try to figure out the pros and cons of the adrenaline rush and the excitement of hill climbs as i pen this blog. I think i've mentioned in my earlier blogs that I wanna stay away a good 6 months or maybe even a year from Nandi after a personal best timing of 28:30(mins:secs). Little did I know that the bull will get me with such fury...!!! 

As usual the rant, euphemisms of How? what ? when and where? on Facebook, 3 warriors were at Nandi on 10Sept. Another day of personal bests. Opendro clocks 40 mins on foot from the base to the arch. This came as a surprise as many cyclists struggle to make it sub-45. Kiran finished strong in an hour. As I had forgotten my running shoes, I didn't fancy a run with the cleats. First attempt to climb was in a Fiat Linea and parked the car at the summit. A relaxed downhill ride for Opendro and Kiran but I timed my descent and reached at 9:16(mins:secs). Touched 57kph at some stretches..!! Also got to experiment with aerodynamics. Opendro is faster on 23c but I got down on the drops and swooped down to reduce the wind resistance and it certainly made a HUGE difference. I no time i was ahead Opendro on the descent. But the real timing was on the way up. So puris and some bread omlettes later we started of on the first attempt. I had to clock my best and give it the beans to clock the quickest and the result 26:50. Opendro also completed the climb on cycle with 27:59. Kiran relaxed in the support car while I could see the wicked smile on Opendro (One more troops.. as he's the Vice Captain of Cleated Warriors). I was ready for more so off we go and started back again. This time it was a slow and relaxed climb or should i put it a better averaged pace throughout the climb. We made it to the summit in 35mins. Kiran was wide awake and the tender coconut was no where to be seen so we left the Nandi exploration to the monkeys. Oh yeah there was a couple on a bike and a monkey saw them holding a frooti and the girl promply handed the juice over to the guy who then with hand gesture managed to stop the monkey in its tracks. The guy almost finished the juice and as it waited patiently. Never have I seen one so obedient. Anyway time for a third climb. At the base for a snap showing the third attempt. This time again a steady average but the last 2 kms fooled me with every curve and I look up each one expecting the arch only to realize it was just a few more bends away. Saw the tender coconut being transported which was a refresher to the mind. Finished the third attempt in 33:50 and we descended yet again for lunch and the last climb for the day. Downed a fried rice and took a nice relaxed hour. Soon we saw Team shift and they were to start their 5 laps. Samim is going to attempt Nandi sub 20 and in my head ( that was way off limits and not my turf) 24-25 seems a decent target to achieve considering the fitness levels. Moreover a lot of work needs to be done to shave the couple of minutes of time). Once a threshhold is reached it takes a lot of fine tuning and consistency to beat the current personal record. The surprising fact was we started 5:30 AM and were there whole day. Reached home at 7pm.
Some snaps from today's practice. Nandi-4climbs





Green Contribution :: Some gatorade/electral for the ecosystem !!



Kiran, his first attempt to complete the Nandi, running and for me it was just relaxed drive in Opendro's car.


 Confusion as to what numbers are covered ;-). Actually Opendro and I were on the third run while Kiran was on the second run. (excluding the run).

1 comment: