Monday, October 10, 2011

Flat-Flat-Flat -- Bangalore - Chikmagalur 227kms

The first person bailed out a few days before the trip so an alternative was arranged who bailed out at the last hour. Such disheartening is the plight of my plan to Ride to Chikmagalur and conquer Mullayanagiri. I probably should have listened to either of the guys to postpone the trip. But in the end was it worth the risk?

Absolutely. Some things to cherish in this trip were  ::

1. First Solo trip.
2. The first ever Night ride with the Dealextreme Ultrafire lights..and they certainly proved their worth.
3. First trip towards hassan/chikmagalur.

This trip saw a tussle of bike and biker similar to what was experienced during the trip to yercaud. Looked like history repeated itself but with more experience in fixing flats..!!! So here goes. Night of 7th Oct is the day I'd probably never forget. Undeterred decision making in progress as I left home by about 9:30. Took it slow till the roads got better after the Yeshwantpur junction. Then maintained an average of 40 as it was mostly downhill till the  turnoff to Hassan at Nelamangala. From this point it was a foray into the unknown as I'd never travelled towards any destination on this route. The original plan was to ride the route Jayanagar >> Yeshwantpur >> Tumkur >> Tiptur >>Banavara>> Halebeedu >> Belur >> Chikmagalur >> Mullayanagiri. But got to know that the roads till Hassan are in good shape. Took a left at Nelamangala and maintained an .average of 32kph till I found a truck to draft. Stuck to this till I ended up with a flat just a few kms beyond kunigal. This was bound to happen so I was prepared. Heck, this was childs play after the experience at yercaud. Fixed the 'flat' in 5 mins flat :-). But I was disappointed about losing the truck which maintained a steady pace of 50 I could keep up easily. Some pre-requisites before I decide to draft a truck  ::

1. Preferably a trailer or a goods carrier. 
2. Most important the brake lights should work. Even if one works I'm happy.
3. Should be maintaining a steady pace ~ 40-50kph.
4. Roads should be 4 lane (NH) so visibility is good and confidence levels are higher.

Hmm.. where was I... Oh yes.. Flat fixed in 5 mins and soon I was near the Bellur cross. ( Not to be confused with Belur cross which comes only when you reach Hassan). Saw a CCD and my bike handle bar leant a towards the left and I gladly obliged. Only one table was occupied with 3 men travelling in a Scorpio. Looked at me in awe and wondered what the ... !!!

I was focussed on re-charging my batteries and head to Hassan. So I sat by my Rubie outside and it started drizzling. Hot cappuchino did open my mind up and I started fixing the 'flat' spare. I must say the Glueless patch kit didn't work their magic this time. More about it later. Next ordered a veg sandwich and got myself a nice spinach corn which I must say was very good. I almost was about to say out loud "I'm popeye the Cycle-man", when I met some folks who were native of Chikmagalur. Lovely, now I know someone at the destination. Two of them race motorbikes. One rides an RX 135 and the other a ZMA. They had a few questions and we exchanged the specs of the boys toys. Exchanged numbers and they offered to help, as they saw that I was the lone rider on the highway. I thanked them and started off. Soon in about 4-5 kms Front went flat again. Looked like a pinch flat. Soon I took the wheel off and my new friends from CCD stopped by checking if everything was ok. Told them I've fixed the flat and now I've to just pump it up. So that task was handed over to Asad who was quite fascinated by the foldable gizmo pump from Merida. 100PSI check and we parted ways. After a few kms I stopped yet again as the drizzle started and I took out my rain jacket and continued on my journey. Stopped enroute for a Gatorade top-up. As soon as I re-joined highway, much to my glory A container truck with registration HR 1216 was treading the gentle uphill. This was just what I needed. But wearing spectacles and drafting don't mix well. I ended up drafting this guy for about 50kms at avg 50kph and at times touching 70kph for short bursts. I felt this guy was trying to shake me off the draft. Many cars started waving and even a few trucks. My hands were constantly on the brake and I feathered them constantly as the truck seemed to pull me faster even when I didn't pedal. My glasses were completely wet with moisture and I didn't want to stop with the fear of losing this truck. The Ultrafire lights worked wonders in the highway where there isn't a sigh of a streetlight. Finally after 50 kms he slowed down and stopped. He was surprised to see me overtake him, but not a friendly guy.

30kph avg and I now was nearing Channarayapatna and I think this is where the 4 laned roads merged into 2 lanes. Not my favorite but did I have a choice? About 5 kms before the merger, there was a tollbooth and 1 km before the tollbooth is where I ended up losing concentration and went over a sharp stone or a pebble. 

Wait wait.. Don't beat me to the best part yet !!  But yes.. front had a flat again and I pushed the bike for a km so I could relax a little while at the tollbooth and fix the flat. Fixed the flat and swapped the tube after about half hour I gained momentum. As soon as I was on the 2 laned road in about 10 kms I ended-up with yet another flat. This was turning out to be my regular day with road-bike luck. I again pushed the bike for half a km as I found a tea stall.  Stopped by and removed the tyre only to find a 2mm tear on the sidewall on the front. Disheartening, however I had a one of those business cards that is hard to tear so used that and the insulation tape to patch it from the inside. Swapped the tube again. 4th patch in place but this time there was a 1mm hole and in the tube and not a tear so this was going to be a hard one to patch. Anyway I patched it just to have a spare. It still was 4 AM and a few KSRTC Sarige Express buses stopped and curious onlookers had the same questions. How heavy? How quick? How much? Something new was a request for Test ride. After all it is a cycle and Everybody thought the torch/flashlight was a Battery. I asked them "Bari Battery fit maadi yen maadli?" What will I do with just a battery fitted to the handle bar. It literally had a glass shield in front so a battery wasn't even the closest guess. I packed up after half hour and started yet again towards Hassan.  It was 6and I was in Belur road now after navigating my way within Hassan. A few kms away another flat. Definitely not my day. Soon found an LBS and I thought he could fix the flat using the Comet rubber glue but the patch simply won't stick. 

What next he gets a Fevikwik as that was the only option and soon stuck the patch and glued it all over. Paid him a 20 and left the place as I already had wasted ~ 2hrs in fixing flats. At about 8:00 ... Guess what happened ? 


No, No, Nope. I had breakfast at a canteen. Lemon rice and bonda. You expected I had a flat didn't you. You nasty buggers. With the tummy happy and mind in a sound state I left the canteen which is located on Belur road at a place called Ibdane. 15 kms later Guess what was in store? Yes. I hate to admit it but another flat. So I removed the "fevikwiked" tube and put the normally patched tube in 10 mins and off I went for 20 more kms listening to some beautiful songs with hills on one side with windmills perched on them. and a lake at the base. 

Yippee !!! Another surprise yet another flat. I did carry fevikwik just in case and it did help to some extent. I patched it slowly and carefully this time and off I went for a few more kms. About 4 kms before Belur I had to bail out. Called out for help from the Chikmanglur boys but they had to attend a wedding and a drive down wouldn't be a good idea. Stopped a passing empty Tata magic and sat in it and reached Belur. Stopped at a bakery and sipped Mirinda. Long time since I had an orange drink. What about the bike.. Pls pls lets not talk about it till I'm in Chikmagalur. Owner was a kind person allowing me to quickly chang clothes in the bakery. I enquired about how to transport the bike to chikmagalur and the owner said it would be best to take it in a truck as auto guys would charge exorbitantly.  But I was tired and in no condition to take the beating on a truck So Hired an auto for Rs. 200 to drop me at Chikmagalur bus stand.

With my plans shattered badly, of taming Mullayanagiri was lost and the only thoughts were to return home and i just hoped 1 seat was available in the 1:30pm Volvo to Bangalore. Had my brother check and he said the bus status showed full. Spoke to Driver and the conductor and loaded the bike in a compartment. I fastened the bike to the huge spare wheel using jute ropes that were available in the compartment. Bike secured, time to secure a seat. Half hour later I got seat number 6 and price for transport ( 350 for me and 40 as per ticket, for luggage but he took 200 which was agreed by us both even before loading the bike in the bus) I didn't mind as he was kind enough to get me a seat for my weary back. 8pm at Majestic bus stand and another auto ride for 300 to Jayanagar. Phew.. what a trip. Didn't have the nerve to blog about it that night as I had to work the next day.  

Trip Stats ::
Total distance rode :: 227kms
Time taken (without break) :: 8 hours 30 mins
Fuel :: 1 Cappuchino, 1 Spinach Corn sandwich, 2 Limca's, Tille laddus and 4 packs of Gatorade.

What next ? I have no clue and that's the freedom of a bachelor's life !!
Some meagre pics I managed to capture or have em captured ::
Asked a passerby to capture

The Canteen at IBDANE

On Belur Road

Winding Beautiful Roads between Belur-Hassan


Probably the best pic

The FeviKwiked Tubes

5 comments:

  1. Loved the pic: Beautiful Roads between Belur-Hassan. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you did finish this ride :) Congoz!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for writing this blog. It was very easy to understand. That was a very good blog.
    flats in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Interesting Travelogue. I had been to Chikmagalur couple of times.. it's really nice calm and cool place, located midst of scenic coffee estates, waterfalls, greeneries, wild life sancturies, jungle, hills and mountains and many more.. Also, there are best homestays in Chikmagalurwhich are known for good Hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete